Find your local unemployment office here! Not a government website

I was verbally threatened with bodily harm, I cannot go back. What would I have to do to collect unemployment?

Q) I was verbally threatened with bodily harm at my work place. I have worked there for almost 13 years. I know feel a tremendous amount of anxiety from it and feel like I cannot go back to work there. My boss does not to seem like he cares much, so that adds to the anxiety. What would I have to do to collect unemployment? I am using my vacation time right now. I am searching for employment. But so far I have not been offered any positions.

A) Usually if you voluntarily leave your job you are unentitled to unemployment benefits. However if you had to quit because of a hostile work environment, this is considered Constructive Discharge. In this situation you can apply for unemployment benefits due to Constructive Discharge. Sometimes your employer may want to drive you to quit by allowing the difficult hostile environment to continue so you are forced to quit. Sometimes your boss may even knew you were being subjected to difficult hostile experience and refuse to do anything about it. In such a situation you may be forced to resign. This is considered a hostile work environment and is grounds for a constructive discharge claim in qualifying for unemployment benefits.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

91 Responses to Click to Tell Us Your Experience At Your Local Unemployment Office

  1. If you are seeking unemployment insurance benefits because you were fired you may not qualify if you were found to be at fault. You must be out of work through no fault of your own. Workers who are laid off for economic reasons due to a plant closing, a reduction-in-force (RIF), or because of lack of work, for example are eligible for unemployment benefits. But employees who are fired are not always eligible for unemployment benefits if it was due to a fault on their part. If you can prove that you were fired for no foult of your own you my qualify for unemployment insurance benefit.

Leave a reply